Our services

Pet travel certificates

Get immediate, unlimited advice 24/7. Our veterinary team is ready to respond to common health questions, help you determine what kind of care your pet needs, or assist in an emergency.

Questions? We've got you covered.

Do I need a domestic travel certificate for my cats or dog?

For domestic travel within Canada, you’ll only need to provide up-to-date vaccination records that have been signed by your veterinarian. Airlines may have their own requirements and forms, so it’s best to view the airline’s policies beforehand.

Do I need an international travel certificate for my cat or dog?

Some countries have strict health requirements and restrictions for entry, especially when it comes to vaccines. Some countries may also require your pet to quarantine upon arrival. We ask pet owners to come prepared for this appointment with the certificate they need for where they are traveling too.

For more info, check out the Government of Canada's guidelines.

Do you provide travel certificates?

Yes! We’ll take care of exams and paperwork for domestic and international travel so you don’t have to leave your furry family member at home.

When do I need a travel certificate for my pet?

You’ll need a CFIA travel certificate for any international travel. This certificate needs to be signed by your regular veterinarian and a CFIA veterinarian within 10-14 days of travel. For domestic travel within Canada, you’ll only need to provide up-to-date, veterinarian-signed vaccination records. If you’re travelling inside your home province, you don’t require any certificates. If you’re travelling by plane, check your airline’s requirements for travel.

Do I need a travel certificate for my pet if I’m not travelling by plane?

Yes, you’ll still need travel certificates and/or vaccination records when crossing borders by car, train, or boat.

Do I need a new travel certificate for each trip?

Yes, you’ll need a new CFIA travel certificate for each international trip. If you’re going to multiple destinations in one trip, you may need multiple certificates. Most countries in the European Union have the same requirements for pets, but different countries or continents all have their own unique requirements.

Do I need an appointment to get a travel certificate?

If we’ve seen your pet recently, they’re up to date on vaccinations, and you have signed vaccination records, you won’t need an appointment to get a domestic travel certificate. For international travel, you’ll need a wellness appointment and an appointment with the CFIA office within 10-14 days of travel. It’s a good idea to start planning early, especially if your destination has special travel requirements for pets.

How long does it take to get a travel certificate?

Domestic travel forms and certificates can be ready quickly. The turnaround time for international travel forms depends on your destination and its requirements. Our team can give you a more precise timeline for your certificate once we know where you’re travelling.

What should I take with me when travelling with my cat or dog?

As well as your pet’s everyday favourites, be sure to pack:

  • Records: Physical and digital copies of their travel certificate, vaccine records, and any other important medical records.
  • Emergency contact: A contact number for the nearest emergency veterinary hospital at your destination.
  • Medication: A good supply of any medication your pet takes.
  • ID tag: An ID tag with your cell phone number (and if appropriate, the country code needed to call from your destination).
  • Microchip: Ensure your pet’s microchip is working (we can check for you) and that your contact details with the microchip company are up-to-date.
  • Carrier: A crate or pet carrier that’s approved for travel. Check with your airline for their specifications.
  • Water bowl: A travel water bowl to keep them hydrated.
  • The Juno app: Download the Juno app on your phone and get 24/7 access to virtual care, no matter what time zone you’re in.

Is my service animal or ESA (Emotional Support Animal) subject to the same regulations?

Yes, even if your pet’s a service animal or ESA, they still require the same travel certificates and are subject to the same health regulations as other pets.

Does my pet need a rabies titre test?

This depends on your travel destination. The rabies titre test is a blood test performed by an external laboratory to check if your pet has the necessary antibodies against rabies. It can take six or more weeks to get test results, so plan accordingly! Some (but not all) destinations that require a rabies titre test include Australia, China, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, and Qatar.